Coming from a Servant Leadership perspective, we believe that cultivating positive relationships between and among employees is one of the most important, yet challenging goals facing today’s leaders. Building a successful organization depends on the ability of a leader to create a positive organizational culture which focuses on both cooperation and collaboration, as well as strong relationships among and between employees (peers), departments and employees and management. Actively building a positive culture of employee relationships is contagious and leads to both improved customer service and improved relationships among and between all members of the organization’s community.
Several critical factors in building a positive culture of employee relationships include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring understanding and buy-in to a shared mission and vision.
- Understanding differences and valuing diversity in the workplace,
- Creating a safe environment for dialogue and discussion,
- Creating opportunities for staff to share personal and family accomplishments.
- Letting staff know that relationships are important,
- Promoting car pools, summer barbecues, family health and fitness programs, and of course
- HAVING FUN!!!
Ultimately, the success of any organization is largely dependent upon the strength of the relationships formed and maintained within an organization. The capacity to communicate effectively, to trust and to develop healthy teams relies on the strength of relationships. Stronger relationships between staff and supervisors and their teams are directly linked to increased productivity, increased retention and overall success of an organization.
What are you doing to actively build relationships in your organization?